Monday, August 29, 2016

Alexa Zipcode Lookup


I have been playing around with building another Alexa skill.  I mostly wanted to explore some different techniques to use in a skill.

This new skill will lookup zipcodes for you.  It does it in a few different ways:
  • If you tell it a zipcode, it will tell you what city that zipcode is for
  • If you tell it a city and state, it will tell you what zipcodes are associated with that city and state
  • It will return a card to your Alexa app with a map of the location
The skill uses a few different services.  Zippopotam.us is the service that I use to do zipcode and reverse zipcode lookups.  And I make use of Google Maps API to assist with the spelling of city names, when the Alexa Voice Service doesn't recognize the spelling.  Also, the maps are provided by Google Maps API.

I am going to write about the different parts of this skill across a few different posts.  I hope some of these techniques will help you with your next skill.

The code for this skill is up on Github...  https://github.com/chrispauly/alexa-zipcode-lookup 

No comments:

Post a Comment