Monday, March 7, 2016

Sitecore Documentation Restructure

In the past week, Sitecore restructured their documentation content tree.  This has resulted in every Google search I make linking to a 404 page.

Google for "sitecore compare two versions of an item"

Clicking on the doc.sitecore.net link results in a 404.

Now, if you try searching for that same content, on Sitecore's documentation website, you can find it.

 And you'll see the URL changes slightly.

Sitecore appears to have deepened their content tree structure.  But they did not do a good job of redirecting old requests to the new location in the the tree.  I'm not sure if this is to try and protect their search engine ranking of the old search pages or not, but if this is going to be their new structure, they could've 
  1. Add a 404 handler to detect the old document requests
  2. Perform an ItemResolver to find the new location of the item (since it appears the names of the documents haven't changed)
  3. 301 redirect to the new location
I wonder why they chose not to do something like that.  Were there technical hurdles that made this impossible?  Are there SEO reasons that make it better practice to wait for the search engine crawlers to find the new links and let the old links fade away?

When I initially came across the 404, I thought Sitecore phased out that document.  I'm glad I continued my search on their site, or else it would've taken more time to find the documentation I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment